Moving a looly column

Old 05-07-09, 11:50 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Moving a looly column

I have basement with foundations 32 ft by 24 ft. It has three lolly column around 8 ft apart. I want to remove/move one to open space. I talked to some contractor and some says that i should get the reinforcement designed from engineer where as other says that they can either replace the current beam which is 3 1.5 each assembled together with LVL or add LVL to the current beam to increase the span.

The question that i have:
(1) Can such a project be done with engineer and just sizing the beam at a lumber with correct loads?
(2) The new sized lvl have to replace existing one or can this be assembled with the existing beam.
(3) Is there a program which can give me maximum span of LVL for a 9.5 inch depth lvl? Or can anybody give some rough idea of span. It is a two floor gambaral house with crawling Attic. The Attic don't have any column. There is a bearing wall in each floor in the span that i want to support.

Thank you very much in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-09, 12:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Lally columns can be moved, but quite often the elimination of them requires an engineer to see if it is feasible and what it would take to perform the task. So.....
1) I would consult an engineer.
2) They can be incorporated into your existing work, but must be bolted securely and properly supported on each end. By using your existing work, the LVL will probably be too wide to rest securely on the column bosses.
3) Is your present beam running in the 32' or 24' direction?

Old 05-07-09, 12:58 PM
B
Thanks for the reply. My present beam is running in 32 ft direction.

Old 05-07-09, 04:01 PM
You do need an engineer.

Even if you do find a beam that will make the long span, one thing you could run into by removing the 3rd column, there will be more load on the remaining 2 columns AND footings. The remaining old footings may not the adequate (size and thickness) to carry the new higher loads.

Dick

Old 05-07-09, 08:15 PM
B
I was planning to add a new footing after i find the maximum span a 9 1/4 or 9 1/2 can sustain. Anyway i hired an engineer. I was looking through some LVL companies and it looks like LVLs are available in 11 1/4. However the engineer failed to mention that and also when i called most of the lumber don't stock 11 1/4 size. Does anybody know when they don't stock 11 1/4?

Originally Posted by Concretemasonry View Post
You do need an engineer.

Even if you do find a beam that will make the long span, one thing you could run into by removing the 3rd column, there will be more load on the remaining 2 columns AND footings. The remaining old footings may not the adequate (size and thickness) to carry the new higher loads.

Dick

Old 05-08-09, 11:32 AM
W
Everybody I've talked to about this work shies away from it. 1 because of the required calculations, 2 because it's difficult to replace an existing beam while properly supporting it, 3 because new footers would be required because no one could know what already exists.

The easier solution was considered to be to put a new beam under the existing one, or possibly using fitch plates.

Definitely post your findings/results as this question comes up a lot with few good answers.