Step down shower and structural joists

Old 05-12-09, 08:22 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Step down shower and structural joists

I would like to build a step-down shower and would like to know which structural connectors I need to get in order to "hang" the new support joist from the existing ones. This small 28 x 28 step down would have to hold standard shower weight

thanks

Old 05-13-09, 08:19 AM
This is why we have permits.

Look for a book called How To Catastrophically Compromise the Structure Of Your House By Rufus Cumindoun.

Seriously you would need to hire a structural engineer and go through the permit process.
This is nothing to even speculate on. The permit process is your best friend especially in this case. If you really think that this is worth doing, then step one is to get a permit.

Do not think of the permit process merely as "asking for permission." The permit process will require you to hire an architect to asses the feasibility, and if feasible, produce a drawing detailing the requirements which will be submitted for approval. This way you will also have a proven set of instructions on how to do this work properly, specific to your intended placement without guessing or going on your own, potentially causing big time problems. If not short term, then long. Plus your work will be checked by an inspector.
Peace of mind my friend. Worth the price of admission.

Last edited by mickblock; 05-13-09 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-13-09, 11:00 AM
I would probably sister another joist to the one (or two) joists you intend to hang the new ones from first. For this, use thru-bolts at 12" c/c staggered. Then simply hang your new joists (2x8's, 2x6's, etc consult span tables first) from the new double joists using standard hangers. But without seeing exactly what your talking about I would use this as only a starting point.

Old 05-13-09, 08:25 PM
S
Thanks for the input guys. Ohio, assume that the existing drain runs but up to one of the joists and in order to sink the shower I will have to remove a portion of that joist where it runs directly under the shower pan. In order to do this I will have to support the severed joist somehow (any advise would be helpful here) the rest you have answered.

Old 05-14-09, 07:08 AM
I guess I don't understand your question. The shower is 28x28. Won't all of the existing joists (should be 2, maybe 1 depending on spacing) that are under in the area in question for the step down, need to be cut? Meaning the cut joists on either side of the pan will now need to be picked up by the smaller joists running perpendicular on each side of the 28x28. Then these new smaller joists (you should probably double these up as well) connect via standard hanger to the existing joist at either side of the drop, that has a new one sistered to it in the method previously described. The plumbing is on you to figure out really.

As for the capacity of what I just described. You really need to know where the existing joists currently run, where are the bearing points, and how far do they span. Do they support other rooms as well? You can see that the area 28" wide x the length from bearing to bearing, will be transferred to the double joists. If this is a long span...can you see the potential problem?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: