using drylok

Old 05-15-09, 04:02 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
using drylok

Didn't see what forum this would fall in so I will post here for help.I would like to know if drylok can be used for outdoor wood studs or would waterseal be a better choice? Thanks

Old 05-16-09, 02:45 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Drylok is for masonary surfaces. Why do the exterior studs need waterproofing? Don't they have some type of covering? Are they pressure treated lumber?

Old 05-16-09, 05:03 AM
S
We have a Bocce court that has cedar wood boards which were supposed to be treated but not sure.We just wanted to replace them and maybe just use thompson waterproof.Just tying to get the best solution.Thanks

Old 05-16-09, 05:11 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I don't know what a Bocce court is

PT wood is usually yellow pine. Cedar is somewhat weather resistant by itself but it's always best to use some type of coating over it [PT too] Clear sealers like thompson's waterseal have a short life and do little to stop the greying/weathering of the wood. A translucent/toner stain or semi-transperent will give more protection from the elements.

Why do you want/need to replace the cedar? what will you replace them with?

Old 05-16-09, 06:04 AM
S
It would be a lot easier to look up bocce court on the web than for me to try and explain it here really. We will not take the old boards off just attach the new ones to them. May try to go with pressure treated and maybe a clear coating as suggested.Have to figure the difference in cost.If the pine last a few years then it may be cost effective to just use that in stead of treated wood.Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: