Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Water in Crawlspace, Dug out too close to foundation? Build a wall or ?

Old 05-17-09, 03:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi, I was wondering if I could ask you some ?s. I am having a problem with water getting into part of my crawlspace. It only happens after heavy rain that goes on for a few days. It never gets any higher than what is shown in the pics. The rest of the crawlspace is dry and doesn't get water. I think the problem is because the wall was dug out so close to the foundation. My plan was to install a sump pump but I am thinking that this would be a bandaid and not a repair for the problem. Plus I am worried that the dirt underneath the foundation may erode away over time as the water comes in and eventually cause a foundation problem. The house was vacant for 11 years so more than likely this has been happening for the past 11 years but I would like to fix it. I never noticed it until we started getting recent heavy rains. I went down during a heavy rain and it is definitely coming through the wall at the lower left section. My gutters are near new and draining properly so that is not the problem. There is no water leak in any of the plumbing either.

I thought about pouring a footer and building a cinder block wall about 1 foot away and motar the blocks. Then back fill it with dirt. I only wanted to make the wall as high as the main plumbing supply line? Is that high enough? Would this be the correct way to solve this?

What is the best way to keep the dirt under the foundation and keep as much of the water out as possible?

Is it still worth installing a high quality sump pump system just to be safe?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-09, 10:11 PM
Temporarily Suspended
How high above the floor is the water entering? In other words, how high is the highest wet spot? Do you any hairline cracks, inside or outside?

A sump pump would be my last resort. The best way is to seal it from the outside.

Old 05-21-09, 10:25 AM
A few questions

How is the terrain around your house graded, specially in that corner where the water seeps through?

You gutters are new but how far away from the house are they discharging?

In my opinion a quality sump pump is the way to go here. Since you only have this problem during heavy rains I think it might be the less costly as well.

It might be a good idea to call a waterproofing contractor in your area to inspect and see if there is anything else that can be done (Some will do it for free) and install a good sump pump system.

I would also suggest that uf you are going to repair the water leak and install the sump pump, you go the extra mile and have the crawl space encapsulated and conditioned, getting rid of moisture problems for good.

You will have better indoor air, no mold or rot in your floor joists and a home that is at least 15% more energy efficient. The energy savings alone will pay for the whole improvement in a few years.

Look at the videos in this Advanced Energy website, about studies conduced on crawl spaces

This website on crawl spaces also has some information you might find helpful.