Installing Attic Ladder

Old 05-26-09, 03:08 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing Attic Ladder

I already have access to my attic through a cutout in the ceiling in a closet. I don't find it very convenient to get my large extension ladder from the garage and squeeze my way in and around the house. It takes a lot of care not to scratch the walls as I position the ladder inside the closet.

Has anyone installed an attic ladder before? Is it as simple as buying a ladder kit and installing it in the cutout I already have?

All advice welcome! Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-09, 03:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Be sure to buy the correct one. They come in different widths and heights, so look on the carton to see which one you need. It will take two people, and I would do it before it gets really hot in the attic, as the poor one who loses the toss and has to go up will be trapped there until the installation is complete.
The stairs come with instructions and they should be followed to the "T". If you have questions regarding the installation as you go along, please let us know.

Old 05-26-09, 04:14 PM
J
Installing one in the existing closet access is probably possible, but not really practical. And you should only need a 6' step ladder to get in that one. If you install the ladder in the closet opening, most of what needs to go up in the attic won't fit. Werner does make a unit that fits into a small opening, see their website for their telescoping ladder. The usual place for an attic ladder is in a hallway, and it does require cutting drywall and cutting/reinforcing ceiling joists.

Old 05-27-09, 05:53 AM
W
Received 20 Votes on 19 Posts
Attic Ladder

Adding to what has been said, pay attention to the clearance requirements in the attic. The ladder needs more attic clearance than attic stairs, but will fit a smaller opening in the ceiling.

Old 05-27-09, 06:49 AM
A
All good advice. I'm going to visit my local Home Depot and see what options they have. If it requires me to cut a bigger opening in the ceiling or there is little clearance in the attic, it probably isn't worth it to me.

I may be better off buying a small step ladder, like Just Bill suggested.

Old 05-27-09, 07:23 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Another thought would be a custom built ladder that is supported below the opening. It would be smaller and leave more space to enter the attic.

Bud