Basement Plumbing Help?

Old 06-10-09, 07:33 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement Plumbing Help?

I am remodeling my brothers basement. The house was built with roughed in plumbing in the basement bathroom. There is a floor drain for a shower, toilet and sink. The sewage is pumped up the wall and gravity takes it to the street. The house is located in Bartlett, IL. a suburb of Chicago.

What are the odds they roughed in a p-trap?
What are the odds they roughed it in to fit a standard sized shower unit?

Thanks for any and all help!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-09, 04:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
If they provided the 12 x12 box for the tub/shower drain, you should be able to see the ptrap for it by digging a little. Odds 75:1
If it is a shower unit and you pour water down the drain and can see water when you look down the drain, Odds 100:1
Roughed for a "standard" shower, I'll refer to Bill Clinton..."what is standard....is".
Measure from the concrete wall 4", then from that mark to the center of the drain hole, then multiply by 2. That will be the size shower it was roughed for.

Old 06-15-09, 10:53 PM
A
Thumbs up

A shower or tub is best installed with the help of a pro, even if the plumbing is in place. Install a bathtub or shower to code.

Old 06-16-09, 03:47 AM
Aaroni, that's why we're here. Tubs and showers can be installed by DIY'ers. We provide the help.

Old 06-19-09, 06:52 PM
H
Thanks Chandler.

Wall to center of drain is 18 3/8" and 27 1/4".

Aaaroini, not much I haven't tackled in the way of DYI projects. Pretty much done all my own vehicle repairs since I could drive. Started out with simple things like oils changes and graduated up to rebuilding my auto trannies. As for home work, started out simple too and last summer tackled some major projects. New windows, not replacement windows, new windows, frame/drywall/trim and all. Remodeled the basement to include electrical, plumbing, bathroom, mini-kitchen, moved the washer dryer, built my own wall mounted beer dispensers, for my home made beer. 55 gallon fish tank built into a block wall, not too mention the wains coated walls and drywall ceiling. Yep all by myself. Hell a couple years ago I reroofed the house, 1,800 sq foot hip roof. This summer I wil be installing a French drain around my house and remodeling my brothers basement. Although I do need to make time to go fishing on my boat I just finished remodeling over the winter. Installing hte shower unit will be a piece of cake with the right information.
Beer 4U2

Old 06-20-09, 11:10 AM
I like the attitude. The drain is set for a 30" shower unit on one dimension (18 3/8 less 3 1/2" of stud will leave right at 15" center, or a 30" shower), considering the "wall" is the block wall, and not your finished wall. The 27 1/4" dimension may need to be customized to allow the shower to fit, or making the shower bigger, all the better. Did you pour water down the drain pipe to see if it was visible? That's the best test I can think of without alot of demo.

Old 06-23-09, 05:21 PM
H
Thanks Chandler.

Yes the 18" is from the North poured concrete wall. 30" wide unit makes sense.

The 27" is from the East poured wall. The toilet and sink drain are also on the East poured wall.
The East wall has the shower at 27", toilet 17", and sink 16" out from the wall. How far out should I build the wall behind the shower, toilet and sink?

I think the key will be the toilet. What is the standard dimension for a toilet drain from the back wall?