Mold in attic

Old 07-27-09, 08:15 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mold in attic

I know this is probably a tired old question, but I have mold growing in my attic.

THe house is 4 years old. When it was built, the contractor vented the bathroom fans into the eves and the warm air and moisture was getting distributed back into my attic. I noticed black color mold growing. I finally figured out the issue and installed vents to vent the fans outside. That was 6 months ago and the mold seems to still be growing. It is growing up the OSB from the eves to the ridge vent. Anyone have any suggestions as to where I might look to find out where the moisture/heat continuse to come from? I noticed that the roofing nails are rusted on the bottoms so I assume this indicates a humidity issue.

Old 07-27-09, 08:53 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Hi j, you say you vented the fans to the outside. Was that directly under or through your vented soffits? Soffit vented fans and even those that exit below the soffits are at risk of drawing the moisture right back into the attic.

The rusted roof nails can be a winter condensation problem. Is this a north or south facing roof area. What is your climate (where are you)? Are there any rusted nails or other indications elsewhere in the attic. And what is directly below that area. Is moist bathroom air leaking directly into the attic?

Bud

Old 06-01-10, 09:51 AM
L
mold

I had mold on my attic sheathing. I used a product called Cal-brite sold by a local pest control store. It is branded as a sanatizer. I sprayed it on in a pump up garden sprayer and the wood looks like new.

Now to hopefully fix the conditions that led to the mold.

Old 06-05-10, 04:15 PM
F
Cheap Powerful Mold Killer

Into a garden sprayer, add one (1) gallon of water, one (1) cup of household bleach, and one (1) cup of distilled white vinegar. Kills bacteria, viruses, mold, fungus and spores. Wear goggles. Use only in well ventilated areas, else use respirator.

Old 06-15-10, 02:33 PM
L
Into a garden sprayer, add one (1) gallon of water, one (1) cup of household bleach, and one (1) cup of distilled white vinegar. Kills bacteria, viruses, mold, fungus and spores. Wear goggles. Use only in well ventilated areas, else use respirator.>>>>>

I did try that however what it did not do is remove the mold stains from the sheathing (whether the mold was dead or not it looked the same) I figured I needed to scrub or sand which would have been a chore. the cal-brite restored the wood to like new appearance. Note that it is also sold as a deck and roof cleaner. I dont know if a box store cleaner would do the same? cal-brite did not need to be rinced.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: