finish for painted cement floor

Old 08-11-09, 07:12 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
finish for painted cement floor

my basement cement floor was painted about 30 years ago ,the paint is flaking and loose and makes a mess every time the floor gets wet. is there a paint or finish i can paint over the old flaking paint without having to use a chemical to remove it first.? is there a product that will incorporate the old paint into itself and create a nice sealed floor. ?thanks paul

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-09, 07:21 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
The answer is a big fat NO. You can't paint over flakes. Find a way to remove the paint & never paint it again.

Old 08-11-09, 07:37 PM
Just to reconfirm pulpo 100% correct answer, Been in the trades all of my life and its still a NO.

I wouldn't use chemicals in the basement. Not to mention a stripper sinking into the crete. A heat gun and scraper would better as long as you don't burn the paint. But first check it for lead with a test kick you get at the box/hardware stores. Watch burning the paint/fumes.

Old 08-12-09, 04:40 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 261 Votes on 231 Posts
Basement floors can be problematic for paint - especially if they lack an effective vapor barrier under the slab. While a fresh coat of paint will help lock down any paint not removed by scraping, it will peel again. If you can remove all [or atleast most] of the paint and don't want the bare look of concrete you can use a concrete stain. They rarely peel but if there are moisture issues with the slab........