cutting a basement door to the outside

Old 08-13-09, 11:40 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
cutting a basement door to the outside

I would like to cut a door in the back wall of the basement. I have a deck currently about 6 feet high from the groung level. So I am thinking that I will not have to dig down much. I will get a building permit .
What are some of the things I need to ask a contractor to ensure that the work is done correctly and the basement foundation and wall foooting are protected. I live in Ontario so I would like to protect from winter damage also. thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-09, 04:28 PM
J
There are companies that make precast bulkheads, so you dig the opening, and they do the rest. Or they do it all. Any cut in a basement wall has to be reinforced, either by what replaces the hole or something else. The bulkhead is usually that thing. It has steps, mates with your wall, has provisions for a door(Bilco is one of the best). There is usually a bulkhead door(Bilco) and a door at the bottom of the steps. The more insulation in both, the better.

Old 08-14-09, 02:43 PM
G
I presume you have a drainage system installed already. If so, have the contractor tie-in a drain in the landing required at the bottom of the stairs. (To pick up and remove any snow melt or rain water there). Hopefully, the drain is next to the footing--- not on the footing. Otherwise it will be hard to pour the landing slab lower than the door.
Be safe, G