Basement vapor barriers

Old 08-17-09, 05:50 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Basement vapor barriers

My situation is as follows ... I have a concrete block foundation with some damp areas and a sump pump.

I have discussed what to do with several contractors.

Some said use drylock, others said its not needed.

Some said use rigid foam insulation against the foundation, others said all I need is plastic sheeting stapled around the frame.

Some said build the wall next to the foundation, others said leave an inch for it to breathe.

Some said use plastic sheeting over the wall then drywall, others said its not needed.

Who's right and why? All I know is I don't want any mold. I appreciate any comments/advice.

Old 08-17-09, 06:41 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Let's start with the sump pump. Why was it installed? It sounds like more than dampness.

Old 08-17-09, 06:48 PM
D
Originally Posted by Pulpo
Let's start with the sump pump. Why was it installed? It sounds like more than dampness.
Every house in the development was built with a sump pump in the basement.

Old 08-17-09, 07:04 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Here's some reading on the topic:
RR-0509c: Renovating Existing Basements —
RR-0309: Renovating Your Basement —

Has your sump pump ever kicked on? As you can tell, the advice you will get can vary and thus you are better off learning for yourself. Start outside with proper drainage, get that water away from the house. An inch of rain will dump over 1000 gallons of water on the roof of a typical home. That water has to be diverted away from the foundation or risk it leaking in as the water soaks into the soil.

Happy reading
Bud

Old 08-17-09, 07:25 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
They didn't build every house with a sump pump just because they felt like it or there was a sale on sump pumps. As Bud said, you have to start at the beginning & that's outside.

Old 08-18-09, 05:04 PM
D
The sump pump kicks on quite a bit, especially when it rains.

I'm addressing the outside now as best I can. I actually had a contractor out here today. He looked at the walls and told me not to worry.

As far as building the walls ... as best as I can tell based on the volume of information I have looked at, the way to go is drylock, rigid foam insulation glued against the block, wall frame against the insulation, fiberglass insulation between the studs, drywall. No plastic sheeting.

Any objections or comments?

Appreciate the comments and information. Thank you.

Old 08-18-09, 05:32 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I have a comment. All that stuff is worthless if the sump pump running at all. How is the water entering to reach the sump pump? Is there a high water table? It sounds like the exterior needs to be sealed from the outside, not the inside.

Old 08-18-09, 05:51 PM
D
There are drain tiles under the foundation that channel all the water under the house to the sump pump.

I live in NE Ohio. The soil is clay which seems to hold water for a long time. It also doesn't drain very well. Probably a high water table. In the spring, some of our neighbors will actually get small lakes in their back yards.

This is what creates some of the wet spots I see. Clay holds the water against the wall with a lot of pressure, forcing it into the wall in some places.

Outside insulation is not really an option ... neither is moving :P

Old 08-18-09, 06:31 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
At least look at the downspouts on the gutters. Make sure that they are curved away from the house. Also look a the pitch. The highest point should be against the house & the rest should be sloped away from the house. It may pay to buy a few yards or more of top soil.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: