How can I seal old wood Summer kitchen walls?

Old 11-11-09, 09:01 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How can I seal old wood Summer kitchen walls?

I have a summer kitchen that has a loft attached to my house.
I want to insulate and drywall the walls. It is wood 'siding' with 2x4 studs (real 2x4 size).
A lot of little tiny tiny pests like to come in during the winter and summer months, lady bugs, etc. I do not want to 'seal' these in when i insulate and dry wall. I would like to keep them out.
There is absolutely no way that I can use caulking or any type of product like that -
I need a product that I can brush or spray on the inside all the walls that will seal them. Not a stain or polyurethane or anything like that - something that will bind where horizontal wood meets horizontal wood. Something like you would 'paint' on a roof to seal it.
Does anyone know what that product is and where I can get it?

Old 11-12-09, 04:45 AM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Why not spray foam it. It will seal and insulate at the same time.

Old 11-12-09, 04:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
And you absolutely don't want to seal the bottom edge of your siding. It has to breathe. Like Airman said, why not spray foam the critical areas around plates, in corners, around windows and doors, etc., then apply appropriate insulation for your area. If fiberglas, you would be limited to R13, then a vapor barrier and your sheetrock.

Old 11-12-09, 09:36 AM
V
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have to / want to do the entire location between the studs - the boards are not fitted very tight - they are well over 100 years old -
I could use the spray foam - I will have to see if there is somewhere i can get decent size quantities.

On Sunday, I was working in the area - preparing the windows to be sealed with plastic as a temp measure until spring rolls around and they can be replaced, I noticed that the insulation at the bottom of this one wall was bunched - when I pulled it back - knowing that it was probably a mouse nest (which it was) - there was quite a grouping of lady bugs that started to rain on the floor. It sounds like beads dropping. I am sure that ladybugs are the least of my issue - it is other things that might follow when it gets colder that i worry about.
I live in the country and almost everything outside looks for a warm place in the winter.

Old 11-12-09, 02:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Ladybugs seek warm places about the first of November to over-winter. They are innocuous, but a PITA. They are on my ceiling as I write. They'll eventually find a resting place until spring.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: