garage rafters

Old 12-14-09, 12:09 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
garage rafters

is there a way to add rafters in my garage. the builder years ago put 4' on center rafters. Wife keeps putting stuff up there and I'm afraid there isn't that much support there. 24 ft. 2X6 every 4 ft. Is there a way to add support or lap more 2X6 s like 16 on center without the 24ft lenth ?? I would like to take 14 footers and lap them the 4ft with glue and lag bolts but not sure about the strenth in the center. I don't think I can fit 24 footers in there any more. I don't want any poles in the middle and it is dec. in wisconsin so I would like to stay in the garage to do the project. Any help would be app. Thanks in advance sodi

Old 12-14-09, 01:47 PM
H
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Post a photo or scale drawing.

Old 12-14-09, 01:53 PM
G
Welcome to the forum! The ceiling joists (if carrying drywall or plaster) are called rafter ties, to keep the walls from spreading outward. The span is too far for solid lumber running the same way. The roof slope cut would not be strong enough- page #33:
Troubleshooting Guide to Residential ... - Google Books
You would need to add an engineered wood member- LVL, GLU-LAM, Para-lam, etc. to go below and perpendicular to the rafter ties, somewhere along their span.
Don't lap or splice anything. The existing 2x6's are barely carrying themselves, no other load should be on them. Can you add a beam between garage doors or under 1/3 of their span, anywhere? A picture would be helpful.
Be safe, Gary

Old 12-14-09, 04:59 PM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Scabbing two shorter joists is not the solution. No matter how strong you make the joint it's still a 2X6. Used as a rafter tie the lumber is under tension and is perfectly adequate for that application. Once you start piling stuff on it you are adding a load that it was not designed to handle. Typically the solution is to add a support beam and additional joists.

You might want to explore hanging the joists from the roof rafters similar to the way trusses are made. The only reason I say that is that I once owned a 2 car garage that had joists tied to the rafters with vertical pieces of 2X6, two per joist. The question is does it support the joists or transfer the roof load to the joists. There was no supporting beam and no posts in the car bay.

I don't know if it had ever been looked at by a building inspector but the garage is probably 60-70 years old and it's still standing. Give your building inspector a call and see it that's acceptable.

Old 12-16-09, 10:09 AM
S
rafters

Thanks for the quick responses.. Obviously the rafters were ment to support the garage not a ton of crap in the attic. SO If I could add that lenth of rafter, 24 ft. I might be able to support some weight there ?? This site is awsome, I plan to check it out very often.

and again thanks for the responses

sodi

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: