Prep to paint basement floor questions

Old 02-03-10, 05:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Prep to paint basement floor questions

The floor is in good condition. It does not appear to have any kind of sealer on it, but the floor does seem to have a polished look to it???

I plan to use a 2 part epoxy to paint. The basement is 26'x 32'. It was poured in sections which left obvious seams. Do I need to fill these seams before I can paint? If I do then what should I use so that the floor still has a smooth finish.

Is there an one paint product (brand) better than another or is it personal preference? There is one seam that has minor seepage after a super hard rain, other than that the floor is dry. Is the seepage a concern when chosing the paint?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-10, 09:52 AM
Hi Homewrecker:

Is there any reason you prefer to use paint?

In the past, I have had problems with paint lifting up from concrete. For our last four homes, I've had good experience using a concrete stain. It keeps the dust to a minimum, is easy to apply and holds up well. Because you can get a wide choice of colors, my wife thinks it really brightens the basements.

In one house, we had some leakage from a heavy rain and the stain handled it with minot touch up's until we installed a sump pump.

Old 02-04-10, 10:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
The seepage is definitely a concern! it's hard for any coating to stay adhered if there is moisture coming thru from the back side.

I'd also recommend a concrete stain over paint, it's less likely to peel. I'm partial to the H&C concrete stain sold at SWP. The seams in the concrete, are they just visible? or can you also feel them? If they are just visible, 1-2 coats of solid stain should make them go away. Hard to say how they will look if there is a difference in the concrete texture.

I would be concerned about the area where you have a little seepage, not sure what would be the best fix

Old 02-04-10, 01:21 PM
The seams are just that, seams, they are edged where the two slabs meet. In my case the floor was so big they poured it in 4 different sections.
I thought the whole purpose of a 2 part epoxy was to hold water out??? The product I was considering is Rustoleum's epoxy shield for basement floors. Unlike the one for garage floors this one is (or so I thought) supposed to seal the floor to prevent any seep through.

Anybody out there used it?????