Basement flooded, now fish smell upstairs

Old 03-19-10, 08:57 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement flooded, now fish smell upstairs

My spigot to the outside froze and broke causing a flood in our basement. I was home at the time so I was able to shop vac it up quickly and pulled up/dried out the carpet with rented blowers.

Now, when we are upstairs right above the area that flooded below, there is a fishy smell.

We are pretty sure the drywall below is dry now. Any ideas of what this could be?

Thank you!

Old 03-19-10, 01:02 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
What is the RH? did you steam clean the carpet? Does it have a pad under it? Did the sheet rock soak up water?

Old 03-19-10, 01:31 PM
C
Originally Posted by airman.1994 View Post
What is the RH? did you steam clean the carpet? Does it have a pad under it? Did the sheet rock soak up water?
What does RH mean?
We did not steam clean the carpet yet - but it doesn't smell downstairs. We do have a pad. We had a guy come look at the sheet rock and they said it was not ruined and we can't see that it soaked any water really.

But you know what? My wife just called and informed me that when she turns our light off the smell goes away!

I read somewhere that burning plastics can have a fishy smell. Maybe there is something in the light fixture causing the smell? This is really odd - maybe unrelated to our flooding problem!

Old 03-19-10, 08:22 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Have seen breakers that smell like dead animals. RH is humidity. Pad will have to go because it will hold the moisture. Carpet will have to be cleaned to keep mold and bacteria out.

Old 03-19-10, 08:27 PM
C
Originally Posted by airman.1994 View Post
Have seen breakers that smell like dead animals. RH is humidity. Pad will have to go because it will hold the moisture. Carpet will have to be cleaned to keep mold and bacteria out.
Dead animals?! Interesting.

Thank you for the response. We are planning on getting the pad replaced.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: