Rehabing Stairs-too steep.

Old 03-29-10, 08:00 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rehabing Stairs-too steep.

Hi,

I have an old house the front is a 1 1/2 story log cabin with a bump out addition in the back. The stairs are quite steep. Generally speaking, I don't have specific measurements but was wondering is there a possibilty of rehabing the stairs to make them less steep I have room in my living room that is the room where the stairs are next to, would it would be possible to turn the stairs and bring them out into the living room. The living room is large so I could spare some space.

I know this is a very general question. I really am not able to use the upstairs because of the steepness of the stairs so any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Old 03-29-10, 08:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
yes but you will have to carefully plan where the stairs turn and end to keep from intruding into space you don't intend to, or to make them look good in the area they are in. best would be to make a scale drawing and try several looks, plan the risers carefully to keep all of the spaces even top to bottom, they should be at least 8 in wide and no more than 8 in high step to step, shorter would be even better but not less than 5 in usually.

murphy was an optimist

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: