recent flooding/french drains (east coast)

Old 03-31-10, 07:52 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
recent flooding/french drains (east coast)

i live in long island, ny and all this recent rain, compiled with the melting snow, has caused flooding in my basement. i live on a high water table. i installed a sump pump 2 years ago(dug a hole in lowest part of basement) and it has worked great until yesterday. water came up from everywhere. my question is: if anyone has experienced recent flooding and has an interior french drain system, did it work?

this is my last option. tried everything else.

Old 04-01-10, 02:47 PM
S
JUST a sump & pump will alleviate a wtr problem in a certain spot,,, nassau & suffold, being sandy, have a high wtr table,,, that, coupled w/the soft disturb'd soil in the original excavation which wasn't sufficiently [ if at all ] compacted after backfill is contributing to the rising water table ( real or false )

your sump & pump kept the near area dry ( 5' diam ) but you'll need to get a full perimeter sub-floor water mgmt system ( french drain ) install'd soon ! if the wtr's too much, even TWO sumps & pumps ( use only zoeller pumps - they're the best ! )

Old 04-02-10, 02:57 PM
J
I tend to agree. Older homes with french drains or perimeter drains were not installed with material that would prevent the system from silting up. Over time it becomes clogged with mud and no longer works. It usually has to be redone, and that is no simple job.

Old 04-03-10, 04:23 AM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
When we bought our current house in 2007, I saw that the basement bulkhead area would get water on the floor after a heavy rain and some of this would seep into the basement near the bulkhead door. I wasn't worried about this because I've handled water problems in other houses and (just retired) had plenty of time to remedy any problems. We've never tried to finish our basements (just used paint and stain to brighten it up) and we keep everything on shelving.

We don't have an interior french drain system, but I've spent the past two years working on preventing flooding in the basement. I put in a sump pump at the basement's low spot, installed proper gutters and extended the downspouts, resloped the soil around the foundation, and dug a proper exterior french drain leading to the street on the uphill side of our lot. My efforts seemed to work because we didn't have any water showing from June of 2009 until mid-March of this year. By my rain gauge we got over twenty inches in less than two weeks and we got water seeping into the basement again even though my sump pump was running most of the time.

My point is that this year is said to be a 100 year event and that a basement will always be at risk from water no matter what you do if the conditions are right. My neighbors have lived on our street since the houses were built in the 80's and never had a water problem until this year. One of them had an interior drainage system around the perimeter of his basement that he calls a 'french drain'. He said that it worked until we got the third March storm (five inches on water sogged soil) then it was overwhelmed when water came in the window wells..

You have to decide how how much effort and money you want to spend to protect against the risk of another March like this one. Since our problem isn't too serious, I'm going to 'tweak' the exterior changes I made and chisel a short channel from the bulkhead to the sump pump.

Old 04-03-10, 04:25 AM
S
had to ck w/former partner as he's got the biz now in nj - we did install systems in nassau/suffolk,,, those that made the 'right' decision (full perimeter sub-floor wtr mgmt systems) still have dry bsmts,,, those that only took the s&p option got flood'd.

on li, EVERYONE lives on a high wtr table the problem's compounded by the FALSE table surrounding your footer,,, time to call in a pro ? ? ?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: