Jackhammering a concrete floor

Old 04-13-10, 04:08 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Jackhammering a concrete floor

Having drain tile installed in a concrete crawl space floor and have an issue.

When they started to jackhammer the floor today they discovered that the concrete is about six inches thick. Now they are trying to ask for additional money since they quoted a breakout of 4 inches. My question is they said that it's taking 50% longer then then it should have. Does that seem reasonable? They are trying to hit me up for an additional 12 man hours.

Old 04-13-10, 04:41 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
unfortunately, it is what it is.

Did you get references for these guys before they started? Where you satisfied with them? Do you think you are being scammed?

If you think you are being scammed, here are your options...

Tell them to go pound sand. now you have a half jacked floor, and the worry of finding another contractor to finish the job. Assume you can find one that doesn't know the guy you just told to go pound sand.

Negotiate with him. "look, I'm afraid you are trying to take advantage of me cause I just don't know." Saying it honestly and without condemnation in your voice will usually get the guy to understand and will either set you at ease with a very complete and detailed reason of why, or he might just not want the confrontation and say, ok, 6 hours.

The bottom line here is that with the extra inches in the concrete, I can't see how it won't be extra man hours. They certainly aren't liable for giving you an estimate of 4 inches if that's what they thought based on your areas average. Unless they did know in advance, told you a price for 4, all the while knowing they were going to hit you up for 6 afterwards. Either way there is not much you can do to prove it.

how much more is 12 man hours going to cost you? $200? May be the best $200 you ever spent.

If this is all they are doing, I wouldn't make that big a deal of it. Suck it up and move on. If they are charged with doing more than the jacking of the floor, I would be cautious if hey start asking for more money on other projects as they start opening things up. That would then be a red flag.

Old 04-13-10, 07:03 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Id guess $45 an hour maybe more.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: