What order to do the final finishing steps?

Old 04-21-10, 08:29 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What order to do the final finishing steps?

I've been working on my basement for longer than I care to remember, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. I've got some guys in this week to do the drywall. They are going to leave it primed and ready for paint. Heres what I have left to do then:

Install Drop Ceiling
Doors
Tiles in wet bar area and bathroom
Wood Trim
Finish Paint
Handrails for Stairs
Finish Electrical (sockets, lights, switches)
Install Wet Bar (cabinets, sink, countertop)
Install Bathroom Fixtures (toilet, shower walls, sink)
Carpet

Does this seem like a reasonable order to do these things in? Any tips on what needs to be done before something else to make my lift easier?

Old 04-21-10, 09:30 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
If you finish paint first you won't have to cut around anything including the drop ceiling. You will likely have to do some touch ups here and there for when you ding the wall but it would be pretty easy to fix.

Here's how I would run it:

Finish Paint
Install Drop Ceiling
Tiles in wet bar area and bathroom
Doors
Wood Trim
Handrails for Stairs
Finish Electrical (sockets, lights, switches)
Install Wet Bar (cabinets, sink, countertop)
Install Bathroom Fixtures (toilet, shower walls, sink)
Carpet

Old 04-21-10, 12:25 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
IMO it's better to get the majority of work done before applying the finish coat of paint otherwise you might wind up with a lot of touch up to do I prefer for all the woodwork and cabinets to be nailed up before I finish paint the walls. It is nice to be able to skip cutting into the ceiling, one way around this is to paint the upper foot or so of the walls before the drop ceiling goes in. That way you should be able to get by without cutting in the top.

Old 04-21-10, 07:34 PM
G
Well I guess you guys pretty much summed up the debate I've been having in my head. It will be easier to paint first, but then I run the risk of having to touch up alot of paint.

I'm planning to hire someone to do the painting since painting is right up there with drywall in the list of DIY jobs I'd rather not do. I guess I'll just ask if there is a difference in price if I let them do it first or wait until I've put a bunch of finish materials in. I think the main thing I'd like to get installed before paint is probably the doors since I think thats my greatest oportunity to bash the walls (the staircase is a bit tight!).

Thanks guys

Old 04-22-10, 05:25 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The doors and trim have to be painted too, right... or stained, sealed and varnished.

If I was to paint a small job like this, I'd want everything ready for paint, I wouldn't want to come back after I finished for anything other than touch up.

Old 04-22-10, 05:49 AM
Group Moderator
If the trim is stained/varnished, I like to prefinish it before putting it up. If it is painted you should hang it first and then caulk/fill and paint.

But then again, I'm not a pro painter.

Old 04-22-10, 01:09 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, on new house, I do like to stain and seal all the woodwork prior to installation. On a small job, I'm not certain it would be worth the extra trip. To finish the wood properly means the final coat of poly/varnish needs to be applied after installation [and puttying the nail holes]

But griffon has the right idea - discussing the job with the painter before hand

Old 04-25-10, 06:00 PM
G
Well I discussed the job with the painter and here's what were going to do. I'm going to buy all the doors and trim and the painter is going to install them, paint them and paint the walls. I was planning on doing the doors and trim my self, but the painter offered me a very reasonable quote for the work so I'm going to take him up on it. This is the same guy that did the drywall work and he did well with that.

He would like to have the doors and trim in there so he can paint them with a sprayer to get a nice finish. Then he'll tape them off and paint the walls. So I guess I'm going to end up with this:

Doors - Hired Out
Wood Trim - Hired Out
Finish Paint - Hired Out
Install Drop Ceiling - DIY
Tiles in wet bar area and bathroom - DIY
Handrails for Stairs - DIY
Finish Electrical (sockets, lights, switches) - DIY
Install Wet Bar (cabinets, sink, countertop) - DIY
Install Bathroom Fixtures (toilet, shower walls, sink) - DIY
Carpet - Hired Out

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Old 04-25-10, 07:25 PM
Group Moderator
Sounds like a good plan. You have seen is work already (not the same kind but at least you know HOW he works) so you should be all set.

Good luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: