installing french drain question

Old 04-29-10, 07:51 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
installing french drain question

I'm getting estimates for a 50' modified french drain, sump & pump.

one contractor is tell me he'll have to remove the bottom 12" of drywall & studs behind the drywall in order to dig then cover trench.

The second guys says he can leave the studs but but for best results its best to remove the bottom 12" drywall & studs

the 3rd guy says no need to cut and remove the studs..just the drywall...his guys will be able to dig the trench and pour concrete with the studs in place.

which guys is correct or best.... i really dont want to remove part of the studs in my basement walls

any advise would be great

jc

Old 04-30-10, 02:16 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Let's start from the beginning. Why is water entering in the first place? If it's not due to a high water table, other solutions may exist. The idea is to stop the water before it gets that far. The pitch of the land, gutters & cracks in the foudation should be considered first.

Old 04-30-10, 05:57 PM
H
I have crack in my block wall. The room was finished but the wall had to be removed becasue of moisture/mold behind the wall.

The crack is below my from porch, to fix from the outsite would be way too expensive..involing removing porch and supporting roof while the are is dug out.

4 different contractors have told me this and sugguest water control or deversion through a french modified drain to a sump pump

Old 04-30-10, 07:20 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
If you want to post some pics of the porch on photobucket.com , I may be able to suggest a way to seal it, without removing the porch. How far towards the center of the porch is the crack? Is it a wood porch?

Old 05-03-10, 08:19 AM
S
this is great,,, we're wtrproofing pro's &, even after 37yrs, don't know how to seal & guarantee a leaking crk repair in a block wall w/o excavation ,,, come to think of it, none of the other guys do, either ! you're not gonna post the negative side cementitious coating ( drylock ) sold at apron stores, are you ?

far's your contractor selection, IF the sole plate's in good condition AND p/t, it wouldn't bother me to leave it,,, HOWEVER, as a genl practice, we remove it + 12" of studs.

Old 05-05-10, 02:34 PM
K
I had two contractors take a look a couple of weeks ago. One said he cuts a perimeter trench from the finished walls in toward the center, so I can leave the walls in place. The other cuts a trench from the concrete foundation walls in toward the center, so with his method, the walls have to be partially removed--he said he needs the lower 3 feet cut out. I decided to use him, so I cut out the lower 3 feet over the last few days. He is coming to do the trench and install the sump pump the last week in May.
After the new concrete is set for a while and I see no leaks, I plan to frame out 8 foot long sections of new wall(3 feet high) using 2x4's(pressure treated) and attach them by screwing through the new wall's top plate into the bottom of the existing studs. I'll have to remount the electric outlet boxes as well. The contractor I used convinced me that his method grabs the water where it's coming- in--at the foundation wall/floor joint--rather than further into the basement like the other guy's method. But who knows? If it works, I'll be happy.

Old 05-05-10, 03:18 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I still say there was a way to stop the water from the outside & eliminate the need for a sump pump completely, without removing the entire porch. Good luck anyway.

Old 05-11-10, 02:07 AM
S
i support harris' decision,,, obviously he's got an advantage - being able to see his house from his house which none of us can also like the idea of placing the trench AT the cove ( junction of wall & footer/floor ),,, hopefully his guy's using miradrain & drilling the blocks for drainage.

pulp, i agree - its better to stop water from entering than managing it after the fact,,, but, pragmatically, when does 1 say - enough $$$ & effort,,, its kind of like hitting yourself in the head w/a hammer - feels so good when you quit

many times the decision's based on $$$ & i completely understand it - we sell this work & we do this work !

Old 05-27-10, 08:23 AM
S
art, we could promote our own w-site, too, but that's not the purpose of these forums - tch, tch,tch !

most times 6mil plastic stapled to the rim joist & tuck'd behind the exposed miradrain resolves the issue you raise.

Old 05-29-10, 10:11 AM
P
The ground water is finding its way into your basement.
The provision of a French drain, is to intercept the flow of ground water before it reaches your home, collect it and move it down hill aways from your home, or into a drain.

The way to look at this, is that when you dig the French drain, you will probably see the water trickling through the ground and running into the trench.

Therefore, it becomes obvious that the best place for the French drain is outside the home, between the water source and the home.

Then there is no need to spoil the inside of your basement.

Look at the ground, see which way the water is likely to run.
If you are in a basin, the solution may be a French drain all round your home, making sure there is a way for the water to run away downhill.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: