basement contractor licensing question

Old 05-07-10, 03:17 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
basement contractor licensing question

I'm getting proposals for a modified french drain in my basement 3600 to 4400.

the company i'd like to go with, told me he's licensed is under another company. is this legit? he said he'd be glad to re-do the contract on the other companies letterhead if needed.

just wondering do contractors normally do this and is it legal...basically would i have a leg to stand on if something went drastically wrong.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-10, 03:38 PM
Received 19 Votes on 17 Posts
Who would you go after if there was a problem and who has the insurance? IMO, I would avoid anyone working on the side supposedly under another license.

When bringing a contractor into your home, you need to know he is insured and that his employees are insures. Both he and his employees need workers comp coverage, unless he is working alone, in which case he can waive the coverage. But it must be done in writing and in the correct form. If he is hiring other workers as sub-contractors instead of employees, another trick to avoid taxes and insurance, then he needs to request certificates of insurance from any and all subs and their employees. If something serious happens, they go right up the chain of employment and if those between the injured person and you aren't properly covered, guess who gets sued. Remember, back injuries can happen anywhere and that could mean a lifetime of unemployment.

Ask for proper insurance and required licensing and have all of the work detailed in a signed contract.

Bud

Old 05-07-10, 05:12 PM
Sounds very suspicious to me. I don't know much about how those licenses work, but the company probably holds the license. So if he did the work under a different company, he would not be licensed. I would stay away from this guy.

Old 05-08-10, 04:22 AM
I agree with the above. Who is the responsible party if there are problems?? Sounds like it is not the guy doing the work, but the company may not know anything about this job. You could have a hard time getting anything resolved........if ?????????

This is a DIY site, and technically, this is not a DIY question. But it surely needs an answer. Good luck.

Old 05-11-10, 01:59 AM
we do this work & i still dunno know what a ' modified french drain ' is

your contract would be w/the company/individual NAMED on the contract & in whose name the lic and INSURANCE are issued - just common sense,,, if you want a contract w/the individual, fine by any of us,,, that's why your ' licensed is under another company ' phrasing is odd & puzzling however it may just be your command of the english language.

any contract is legal & enforceable UNLESS the performance is illegal in the controlling entity,,, any part of a contract which's invalid may OR may not invalidate the whole contract,,, 3 things're needed for a contract - offer, acceptance, AND consideration - performance follows.

like the others, i don't think you've sufficiently ' made your case ! ' does this individual own 2 companies ? good luck ! ! !

Old 05-11-10, 06:20 PM
all the contractors i've received proposals call this project a Modified Fench Drain. they dig a 12" to 18" trench inside my basement near the block wall exposing the footer and install a perforated tube below the footer. they drill holes every 18" to drain the walls and install a waffle looking plastic barrier (forget what its called) approx 8 " up the walls and down to the footer. they then back fill the trench with gravel and pour concrete to fill the trench......any water getting in the walls should drain through the holes in the wall below the floor......................you may call it something else.

i admitt him not have a license is a major concern...he tells me his company does not have a home improvement license, but he's in business using another water proofing companies license and he has workmans comp.........this doesnt sound correct to me???

The contractor has done many of these exact same jobs in my community all w/ good references.

Old 05-11-10, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by stadry1 View Post
we do this work & i still dunno know what a ' modified french drain ' is

I don't do this work so I set out to search this term on the internet to find a definition. Not an easy task. I came across a small comment on bobvila.com that defined a modified french drain to be a french drain that incorporates an added feature.

I guess a sump pump would qualify as an added feature. And those things that get attached to the wall to direct water into the french drain.