Rotted rim joist, no sill plate

Old 05-10-10, 01:01 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I'm replacing insulation under my house and discovered damage to what I think is correctly called the rim joist. The house is a two story wood frame, about eighty years old and was built by a layman.
The rotted portion is under the back door where water has gotten through and it has affected about 3 feet of the rim joist. This part of the house has a cellar with poured concrete walls. The floor joists set directly on the concrete and attach to the horizontal joist. As far as I can tell, there is no sill plate. (There is a concrete porch at the back with a wooden deck on top of that). One of the joists is biting into the concrete a little, the other two seem to be holding their own. What is the best way to remove the rotted portion and shore up the joists supporting the structure?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-10, 01:22 PM
Received 20 Votes on 18 Posts
Some more details would help, pictures if possible
http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...your-post.html

Structural changes may require an inspection and a permit, so a call to the compliance office is best.

Once we see or determine the load and structure above we will be in a better position to advise. If there is a wooden deck outside it may be splashing water back to the door. In any case, the water leak issue will need to be resolved as well.

Bud

Old 05-12-10, 07:47 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Thanks for responding so fast. I took some pictures of the damaged area and the outside of the house - hopefully you can get a better idea of the problem from these. The pics show the worst damage, but there is also rot between the next two joists, though not as severe. I think water was entering from the doorway, running down into the sub structure between the concrete porch and door framing. My thought was to seal the water leak,cut out the bad stuff with a sawzall, then insert 2 x 8 pieces between the affected floor joists and attach new joists next to the damaged ones where needed. Do you think this will give the support needed? Pictures of the situation can be access at the URL below.

Thanks again for any suggestions.

Bronwyn

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Last edited by Bronwyn; 05-12-10 at 08:05 AM.
Old 05-12-10, 09:12 AM
Received 20 Votes on 18 Posts
Ouch, hopefully some of the real carpenters will jump in here. Anything that rests on the foundation needs to be pressure treated lumber, but how much to replace I can't say. Every time I have gotten into one of these, the project just kept getting bigger and bigger, and with that noce deck on the outdside, well it will make the inside work more difficult.

Help, that usually works
Bud