Horizontal tube lighting applications

Old 05-10-10, 05:13 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Horizontal tube lighting applications

doityourself noob, here. This is my fourth property remodel.

I'm about to embark on an extensive basement remodel and I'm wondering about natural lighting options.

I've been searching high and low on the web and I've been unable to find anything more than a mere mention of horizontal tube lighting applications for a basement space. I assumed this would be much more common than it apparently is.

What I'm trying to accomplish is providing more natural light for the bathroom, kitchen and living room areas. Each of the bedrooms will have an egress window but these other areas cannot accommodate any such window.

What I'm hoping to find is some solar tube lighting that can be installed through the rim joist and dropped into the ceiling of each room, with a 45 degree elbow.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of application? Any tips or other ideas for natural lighting would be very helpful.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-10, 06:30 PM
Seems like you might try to adapt the sky light version for your usage. I found this link: Solar Tubes | Solar Tube Kits | Sun Tube and they sell parts that may make it happen for you. The tube size seems like it may present a problem though.

Old 05-10-10, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by drooplug View Post
Seems like you might try to adapt the sky light version for your usage. I found this link: Solar Tubes | Solar Tube Kits | Sun Tube and they sell parts that may make it happen for you. The tube size seems like it may present a problem though.
Thanks.

I forgot to mention that size seems to be an issue as well. The smallest tube size I found was 9" (can't recall which manufacturer). I'm a little concerned about cutting that much out of the rim joist, without some kind of reinforcement. I'm also concerned with the size of the flashing and how much of that I can reasonably cut off, to avoid it sticking out below the first course of siding. I'm guessing I'd have to cut out a good section of the first course and ring the resulting opening with j channel.

I know this would be less than ideal and I'm not sure it's worth the effort, considering that it will also look odd. On the bright side, these would all be on the back side of my house. Ideally, I'd like to find something smaller, that I could double up on, running twice as many tubes to light each given area.

Any thoughts?

Old 05-11-10, 04:42 PM
I believe the restriction for cutting through a floor joist is 1/3 the height. I would assume that this applies to the rim joist as well, though I'm not 100% on that.

If you were able to use one of these in this fashion, I wouldn't be concerned about using the flashing that comes with the kit. I would try to use it, but modify it to however you need to and add any flashing you need to. Your needs will be different on the side of the house than on the roof. I think what you wind up doing is removing the siding form that area and running j-channel around it. I think that will make flashing it easier and then there is no bottom j-channel to worry about. The water should flow right off the the side of the house. Make sure you have some sort of drip edge so it doesn't run back into the house.

How tall is your rim joist?

Old 05-12-10, 06:41 PM
I thought I was going to tell you the rim joist was 2x12s but decided to check it out. It turns out that my floor joists are engineered and they are only 9 & 1/2 inches, so now my assumption is that the rim joist is 2x10s. I don't see any way of making the roof tubes work for this application.

If it would work, I'm re-siding the house anyway, so siding around a tube wouldn't be any problem. However, I think the lens is larger than the tube so the lens would likely overhang the foundation and the starter strip/first course for the siding.

What I need to find is some kind of 3 & 1/2 in solar tubes.

Old 05-13-10, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator
I understand your desire for natural light...but will the domes always be in sunlight? Will they be susceptible to damage sticking out the side of the house?

I'd go talk to a lighting designer...I get you can find some energy efficient lighting that would accomplish what you need, and prob for less cost than the tubes (if they even make them).

Old 05-13-10, 04:51 PM
You wouldn't need direct sunlight for them to work. Regular basement windows let in a lot of natural light with out being in direct view of the sun.

Old 05-13-10, 10:44 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
I understand your desire for natural light...but will the domes always be in sunlight? Will they be susceptible to damage sticking out the side of the house?

I'd go talk to a lighting designer...I get you can find some energy efficient lighting that would accomplish what you need, and prob for less cost than the tubes (if they even make them).
They would be on the east side of the house so they would only get direct morning sun....and some of that would be obscured by trees. I realize that this is not ideal but any light is better than none. I realize there are energy efficient lighting options out there but I'm looking for daylight.

As far as the potential for damage is concerned, I have landscaping around the house so there's nothing that would be able to get to them, to damage them.