basement cinder block damage

Old 05-29-10, 08:51 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
basement cinder block damage

My house has a walkout basement, but the front side of the house in the basement level is below grade. There, in the corner under the stairs, I found some painted cinder block with nasty black stains that I assume are mold or mildew. For all I know the stains have been there for years. Looks like there are a couple of cracks. I've never seen any water come in. I could really use some advice on:

(1) What I should use to remove the stains from the cinder block
(2) What I should use to try and waterproof the cinder block to make sure this doesn't happen again

YOU CAN SEE 7 PHOTOS HERE:
basement2 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 05-29-10, 07:04 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Try some bleach & water to remove the stains. Chop about an inch or two out of the crack. Then fill it with hydraulic cement. If it happens again, you have to dig outside unless you can see what's there now.

Old 05-30-10, 05:12 AM
S
already asked & answered in the other forum ! sometimes there are 2 correct answers but, usually, not when it concerns basement walls, foundations, & leaking water

Old 05-30-10, 02:08 PM
C
I took the advice to clean with water/bleach. That removed the black mold/mildew. What's left is a purple stain that looks like it formed under the top coat of paint. Anyone know what causes the purple stain and if there's anything I can/should do about it? YOU CAN SEE PHOTOS HERE:
cinder block after bleaching pictures by bigcapper - Photobucket

It's not plausible for me to strip all the old paint off of the cinder block, so it appears that I can't use Drylok, since Drylok only works on unfinished concrete. What's the next best thing to use to repaint the cinder block? I'm thinking of using something like Behr Interior/Exterior Masonry, Stucco and Brick Paint, since it's mildew resistant.

Old 05-30-10, 05:00 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Nothing is guaranteed to cover the stain. Try the masonry paint & see what happens. Make sure that you remove all the loose chips first.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: