Suspended ceiling & basement windows issues

Old 06-30-10, 08:12 AM
Unhappy Suspended ceiling & basement windows issues

Ooppss! Starting to help my son finish his basement and just realized that the top of the basement windows are about 2 inches below the main floor joists. We were planning to install a suspended ceiling. According to what I have read, the minimum clearance to install a suspended ceiling is 3 inches, unless we use flexible tiles. So, even if this minimum clearance, the suspended ceiling will be about 1 inch below the top of the basement windows. This will look terrible to say the least!

I did some research and found a product that might resolve my problem: CeilingLink Direct Mount Ceiling Grid System made in the Chicago area. This only requires about 1 inch clearance. Might be expensive to buy and ship to Canada.

Has anyone ever used this product?

Need some ideas quick!

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-10, 01:02 PM
This is not a big problem to overcome & you can still use the normal hung ceiling style / method. Simply build a reverse window well, one that hangs down from the floor joists. Make the sides of this structure 1 to 2" larger than each side of the window opening & come out far enough to allow the window to swing open (if that is the type) otherwise far enough to look good. Make this out of scrap 2x or as I did out of scrap 1/2" plywood on either side of a 2x2. In all of your measurments, allow for the thickness of your scrap drywall on all sides even the bottom, use corner bead, mud & tape. The height to drop down should be either flush with where the drop ceiling edging is or around 1/2" lower. Paint it the same as the walls or use flat ceiling paint, whichever you want. In the middle area that is still open, either use a finish nails to nail a ceiling tile directly to the floor joist or cut a piece of finish grade plywood, painted however you wish. I used 4 simple brass screws to attach a plywood piece to the floor joists. This method can be used for other areas you wish to go around or not tile with the hung ceiling.
FYI look for old posts by me & you will see I used other ideas to make my hung ceiling look very good. Mike

Old 06-30-10, 01:45 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 32
Another option is similar to what you linked is ceiling max:ACP - Surface Mount Grid System CeilingMAX It might be more widely available then the one you linked.

Old 07-01-10, 06:19 AM
Thanks Mike!... Will check out your ideas.