Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Drilling hole through bridging between floor joists

Old 07-08-10, 10:22 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi,

My floor joists are 2 x 10 which are supported at some places by solid bridging (joists cut to size) between the joists. I want to run a 4" duct line for my bathroom ventilation fan along the floor joist to the outside wall. The space where I want to run the duct has a solid bridging piece. I know the rules for drilling holes in floor joists but does the same rules apply to drilling holes through the solid bridging? If there's no rules against it will I weaken my floor by drilling the hole anyway?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-10, 12:07 PM
Why not knock out the solid bridging instead of drilling through it? Once the floor sheathing is in place the top of the joist is stable. You can simply use a piece of 2X nailed across the bottom of the joist bay to keep it from twisting. Another option is cross bracing. A 2X cross brace has an opening large enough for a 4" pipe.

Old 07-08-10, 04:10 PM
You still need the bridging after the floor sheathing is installed. Check out this link. I only read part of i, but I think it has great information for you. The Importance Of Floor Joist Bridging - Part 1

Old 07-08-10, 05:59 PM
Thanks guys for the replies. I'm currently working on finishing my basement with a bathroom and that's why I need to run the duct to the outside. The builder put in joist bridging everywhere except in areas where he had to run plumbing or HVAC ducts. The bridging I want to drill through is not in the most accessible spot so drilling a hole will be difficult as is and might be the only option as taking it out and replacing it afterwards might be too difficult. I think I'll also brace it some more afterwards to compensate for the hole. You guys think my town will fail me on the engineering permit if I go ahead and drill it?

Thanks

Old 07-09-10, 05:31 AM
I don't have much experience with inspectors, but I don't think it is a high probability. They didn't seem to care that the builder didn't have it in for where he ran plumbing.

Consider using screws instead of nails to replace the bracing. It will make it much easier to do in that confined space.