Basement Window Buck/Framing Advice

Old 07-09-10, 09:43 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement Window Buck/Framing Advice

Hello,
I am in the process of installing an 4'x4' egress window in my basement. The 8 inch poured foundation has already been cut and I am framing the header and window buck next. The house is 12 years old and does not have a sill plate. The floor joists are running parallel to the window so structural issues are not a concern. Interestingly, the rim joist is sitting directly on the poured foundation with a thin piece of fiberglass insulation in between. My plan for the header is to build up the existing rim joist with 4 additional 5 foot 2x10 non-pressure treated lumber nailed to the existing rim joist so that it spans the width of the 8 inch poured foundation. I will then place 2 2x6 pressure treated lumber horizontally to form the header for the window screwed directly into the built-up rim joist. The sides and bottom of the window buck will be 2x6 pressure treated screwed directly to the foundation with concrete screws (GRK Caliburn XL's) with vulkem 116 sealant. I'm most interested in opinions on my header plan and building up the rim joist - overkill? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-10, 01:02 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
An 8" x 10" (plus 2 2"x6"s) is definately overkill to cross a 4' opening on the gable end. I would add one 2x10 pt and leave out the 2x6s (and use a bigger window). I would have also put in my header before I cut the wall.