What is this?!

Old 07-11-10, 09:38 PM
What is this?!

Hey all, I canít quite figure out what this stuff is on my basement wall. The cement has lots of natural little pock marks (itís an older house, 1943). On a portion of the south facing basement wall, inside these little pock marks, are filled with a spider web like substance.

Iím wondering if it might be mold, although there are no water leaks anywhere, or moisture collecting on the walls. I describe it as ďspider webĒ like because to the touch, itís like a ďcracklyĒ little spongey web like stuff. Insects or spiders, maybe?

I took a quick video of it if that helps:

YouTube - mystery mold

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-10, 03:17 PM
I do not think it is mold, but what you suggested, spiders, or at least some critter type thing. Unusual to see a poured concrete wall in a house that old. It is definitely not efflourescense, and doubtful it is mold. Unsure about the critters of Colo.

Old 07-12-10, 03:42 PM
Thanks, Bill, for your opinion. I was hoping it wasnít some sort of fungus or mold.

We have spiders here, although not many. And we have tons of ants, which I did have a problem with in this area of the house last summer. Although to my knowledge, they donít make these sorts of web-like constructions.

Yeah, it is odd that we have poured concrete. Also donít have a boiler, but a forced-air furnace system. I guess it was ahead of its time?

Thanks again.

Old 07-12-10, 03:51 PM
As I said, not that familiar with your flora/fauna. When we have something like your pic around here it is critters. Poured concrete does not tend to efflouresce or mold in these parts, unless things are really bad. Check with a local contractor, neighbors, etc. If you have it, it is likely someone else close by also has it.