Trusses and hip roof

Old 07-22-10, 06:48 PM
Upvotes Received: 16
Trusses and hip roof

I'm in the process of converting two bedrooms with closets in-between into a single bedroom. The problem is that I am unsure if the closet framing on one end is structural. This room is at the end of my house and is going to be about 25 feet by ten feet. One of the ends is at the parting wall to the garage and the opposite end is the partition wall (definitely non-structural) of a bathroom. The part of the closet (now just studs) in question are located half-way between these two ends and about 7'3" in from the outside wall. The ridge of the roof over this section of the house runs parallel to the long dimension of the room.

I know that normally with truss construction all interior walls are non-load bearing but is that also true when dealing with a hip roof? There is a doubled up truss spanning this long dimension (actually five feet beyond the bathroom wall to the outer wall) but the studs in question do NOT line up directly under this truss but are about 4-6 inches away. The peak of the roof, where it meets the peak of the roof going the other direction is about 3 feet from where these studs are in the direction towards the center of the house. Needless to say I'm more than a bit reticent about cutting these studs until I am sure there is no structural component being compromised.

I'll try to get some pictures posted if anyone thinks they would help visualize this situation.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-10, 06:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes Received: 2
Yeah, shoot some pix. A hip roof rests on all 4 outside walls, where a gable only rests on two outside walls. That doubled up lumber is probably a strengthening gusset to prevent sag. Does it rest anywhere on a vertical member? Do any of the trusses dead end into it?
Waiting on pix.

Old 07-24-10, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the reply, Chandler. I'm not sure when I will get the pictures as it is in the eighties here now and the attic is, well, hotter. I may have misled you somewhat with the term hip roof as I do not have a square house but a rectangular (more or less) house with an extended portion for a garage. I have no gables so there are "hips" on the corners. I'll try to at least make a drawing tonight to upload.

Old 07-25-10, 09:29 PM
It's going to be a few days before I can get any pictures or even a sketch posted.