Attic Is Open To Garage

Old 08-01-10, 06:55 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Attic Is Open To Garage

We bought our house 2 years ago and I have a question about the attic. The house has the original garage converted to a room and another garage was adde on to the back of that room.

Where the original edge of the house was it is now open to the new garage. There is just some chicken wire up so I guess animals cant' get in. My question is shoudl I seal up the attic that goes into the garage? I'm not sure if the attic is efficient with the opening to the hot garage.

Thanks for the help guys.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-10, 07:11 PM
Received 20 Votes on 18 Posts
Because a garage can have cars running it, it needs to be sealed from the rest of the house, some also require a fire rated barrier, like 1/2" sheetrock. Venting and air sealing the rest of the house are a different matters. Be sure to check your local codes.

Bud

Old 08-01-10, 07:26 PM
Well this is being violated....

26. A fire separation must not have open areas between the house and an attached garage, except as listed:

a. Doors to the dwelling must be self-closing, solid core 1-3/8-inch wood or 20-minute fire-rated.

Old 08-02-10, 03:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Treyprice, I believe section 26 will apply to the main floor area. You can't impede the movement of firefighters between the two attic areas. That is, if I am reading correctly, that we are talking about two cojoined attic spaces. If the opening in the house opens in the main garage area, then, by all means, it must be sealed up.

Old 08-02-10, 06:02 PM
So what is the best way to fill this in? Should i get some plywood and place it across the studs and then put 1/2" drywall over it?

Old 08-04-10, 03:25 PM
Definitely not plywood. It must be firecode drywall(5/8 firecode), with no unsealed opening between spaces. Seal any gaps with fire code material.