Tips for using a diamond grinder

Old 08-03-10, 07:27 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tips for using a diamond grinder

Just thought I'd pass along my experiences for anyone who needs to grind a cement floor. Wish I knew what I knew now a few days ago. Hope this helps someone out.

My project was to grind down my basement cement floor. It's very old and hard and has at least two layers of old paint on it.

Here are the tips.

1) Rent the dual disc machines with 6 inserts. I tried to save some money by going with the smaller machine. Also, it was lighter and I wanted to be careful about lifting too much weight. But the counter rotating brushes are a big advantage. If you have someone to help you, get the bigger machine and drop the extra $60 on the inserts.

2) I was surprised to find out that the diamond cutting inserts are held in by wood shims. Use only one wood shim per side and make sure you have at least one extra per insert. I used two per insert and they splintered halfway thru my day. I lost half a day for this reason.

3) Clean the filter on your vacuum often and have a few extra handy. You will start off dustless and then slowly lose suction. Take the time to clean your vac.

4) Rent a large air mover and put it in the window. Cost me $20.

5) Be ready for a long day. Although some floors are less dense, it can take quite some time, so be prepared for that.

When I did edging with my angle grinder I realized that it was much more effective than the large machines I'd rented. You might want to consider renting an angle grinder with some sort of dust containment system attached to it. I'll bet it would've been faster overall for me. Secondly, be cautious with a grinder larger than 4". My 4 1/2" grinder was fine, but it did jerk around now and then, so be ready. A 7" grinder might be too hard to control for some people.

Well, that's it. I successfully ground down my basement floor. On to the epoxy paint for me. Good luck if you're grinding down a cement floor. I hope these tips are helpful.Beer 4U2

Old 08-24-10, 05:36 AM
F
Thanks, this info will come in handy because I'm thinking of doing the same thing

Old 08-28-10, 03:28 AM
S
here's some more,,, edco grinders aren't used by pro's - just gc's & those who don't specialize in grinding/polishing,,, unfortunately they're about all you can rent unless you're in a larger metropolitan area,,, there aren't many 110v vacs that can keep up w/dry grinding - 220v at least.

dustmuzzle & joe due make shrouds to fit 6 & 4" hand grinders - good stuff.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: