Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Drilling holes between the garage and the crawlspace

Old 08-11-10, 09:03 AM

Hi! I have a 2-story home and I'd like to run low voltage wiring (CAT5 & coax) throughout the place. There is an attic space above the garage that gives me good access to two of the rooms on the second floor and what I'd like to do is drop the cable down from the attic, into the garage. From the garage, I want to make a hole in the garage wall (interior wall) to the crawlspace under the house to pull the wiring to where I want to put my SMC. Actually, I want to put a conduit through the hole and pull the wiring through the conduit, so it's not a bunch of wires going through the hole directly.

My question is, can I drill a hole in the garage wall to the crawlspace? Are there any rules I need to follow to do that (max size of the hole, hole locations, etc.)?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-10, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator
No expert...but I think if you use metal conduit and pack both sides with flame retardant putty (never remember the name) you should be good. The putty comes in blocks like clay and is normally right near the other chemicals and stuff in the electrical area.

Old 08-12-10, 07:12 PM
Oh, cool. Thanks for the info, Gunguy!

Old 08-18-10, 05:53 AM
we are experts Beer 4U2 we'd use fiber-reinforced asphaltic roofing cement - use pvc for your penetration chase