Mortar between block foundation & house

Old 09-08-10, 05:53 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mortar between block foundation & house

Hello,

I have a house with a cinder block foundation. The line of mortar at the top of the foundation has dried up and is breaking off in pieces. (creating easy access for mice) I have temporarily sprayed some foam into the gap but would like to seal it up more permanently. What would be the best material to use? Are any of the caulk-gun mortars you can get at the home improvement stores worth using, or should I use something else? The gap is pretty wide in some spots.

Thanks for any advice!
Sue
Ithaca, NY

Old 09-08-10, 07:30 PM
Received 54 Upvotes on 48 Posts
I am not an expert on this, but, I think I would try the caulk-like crack filler for concrete. It also comes in a caulking tube and I would think, since it is somewhat flexible, it would work well.

Old 09-09-10, 04:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Yeah, I agree with Ben, get rid of the spray foam. It will degrade with sunlight anyway. The concrete crack filler will expand a little once it gets in the crack and will remain a little pliable.

Old 09-09-10, 07:33 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks! I wasn't going to get rid of the spray foam, but cut it back a bit and put the concrete filler on top. I was thinking that part of the reason the old mortar dried out was because of the air behind it and having the foam there will help insulate it. Or am I completely off base?

So ideally I end up with mortar going between the cinder block and the house, and resting on top of the foam.

Old 09-09-10, 04:07 PM
Received 54 Upvotes on 48 Posts
My guess is it was a poor grade mortar to begin with. Hopefully the blocks have better stuff on them. That small an amount of foam will make little difference. What you need is to seal this area from the wet weather so the wood of the home does not get wet. And of course to keep the bugs and stuff out also.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: