Decoration around lally columns

Old 11-02-10, 03:43 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Decoration around lally columns

I am finishing my basement and put a 3-sided peninsula fireplace in the middle coming out of the wall. It turns out that I am going to have a lally column (metail support column) at one of the front corners of the *****ula. Its one of those 3.5" red metal support beams.

My plan is to actually build it into the hearth and overhang of the fireplace. So the only part of the column you see is the portion next to the glass. I'm trying to figure out how to best decorate the column. It will get somewhat hot because it will be close to the glass of the fireplace.

I could use some fire retardant paint (not sure if any exist), or was even thinking about getting some 1/2" thick stone and "tiling" the column with it.

I'm looking for ideas but not sure what is possible. My contractor hasn't been very helpful. Any ideas (or limitations) would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Old 11-11-10, 11:31 AM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
any ideas here? I'm still a bit lost with my contractor

Old 11-11-10, 05:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Anything you do to the column if it is in the heat range of the fireplace will need to be of a non combustible material. The column itself is fine. Whatever you cover it with or paint it with will need to be heat resistant and fire resistant.
Maybe you could post a couple of pictures of your set up on a site such as photobucket.com and copy/paste the IMG code to your reply post. That way we could see what you see.

Old 11-12-10, 04:23 AM
W
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Big box stores sell a wood product designed to wrap around lally posts. It can be stained or painted. You can also buy lally column framing kits on the internet.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: