Electric radiant floor heating on concrete slab

Old 11-10-10, 11:23 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Electric radiant floor heating on concrete slab

I am installing Nuheat electric radiant floor heat cable on my concrete basement slab. I will be installing laminate floor over top. Nuheat recommends a product called Easymat be laid down first on the concrete to prevent heat loss through the pad to ground. Is this necessary? If so there is a peel and stick roll of Easymat, is this product acceptable. My concern is laying the self level compound on top of the easy mat and Nuheat cable. Will it be a sound bound? Pouring the self leveling compound directly over the cables and onto the concrete seems like a better bond but then there is no insulation underneath. What other product could be used for insulation if it is needed.

Old 11-10-10, 05:26 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Why couldn't the self leveling compund be installed first? I would ask Nuheat if it will interfere before I do anything.

Old 11-11-10, 10:16 AM
A
The easy mat is suppose to be an insulation barrier to prevent heat loss down through the concrete slab to the ground. The Nuheat heating cables are then installed above it and the self leveling compound is poured over the cables and mat to cover the cables. Vapour barrier and then laminate are laid down on top of the self leveling compound. I am just wondering if the insulation layer is really necessary and if so is there any concerns about this installation. The self leveling compound applied directly to the concrete seems to be a better bonding surface to me than the easymat. However, I do beleive that the easy mat is bonded to the concrete below it as well. They do make a peel and stick roll of easymat. Anyone had experience with this product? Is this installation correct?

Thanks

Old 02-25-11, 06:38 AM
B
awall...
Have you had any more feedback on your installation plan? Have you gone ahead with it? I'm thinking of using some of the same materials as you (EasyMat, self-leveling compound) but under ceramic and am curious as to what you learned.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: