Penetrating sealer for basement floor

Old 01-30-11, 02:57 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Penetrating sealer for basement floor

I'd like to use a penetrating sealer for dampness in my basement. The concrete is about 80 years old. Any suggestions of brand names I should consider? The big boxes don't seem to carry it.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-11, 07:39 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I used Penetrating Crete Seal 25 that I ordered online, just google it. I applied with a paint roller. The sealers at the big box are complete crap compared to proper penetrating sealers.

It is a very nice product, be sure to use respirator mask, and I rented high velocity fans to move the air out of the windows, this is a must if you plan to stay there.

I used on green concrete, I was thinking for 80 yr old concrete I would probably pressure wash then use concrete cleaner from HD, and fully neutralize before applying.

Old 02-21-11, 07:21 AM
J
Received 77 Votes on 72 Posts
I hope you do not think this is going to stop the water from coming in.
You need to do some more work around the outside of the house before doing this.
Working gutters with down spouts that are at least 4' from the foundation, landscaping running away from the foundtation, no mulch piled up againt the house, no landscape timbers forming ponds for water up againt the foundation.
In some cases you will also need to dig out around the foundation, seal the foundation walls and add a french drain.
A working sump pump in the basement with a check vale in the outflow line and have the line at least 10' from the house.
Running a dehumidifier in the basement will also help a lot.
Trying to just add seal will not work because the water will still be there and will work it's way through it. Plus there no place for it to soak in if the pores are already filled with water, so All you will have is a floating surface film of sealer.