insulation question

Old 03-22-11, 05:01 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question insulation question

What are my options?

1. I have a crawlspace that runs the length of and under a galley kitchen. It has a large opening into the main basement - maybe 5 feet by 5 feet. The crawlspace is not that high to begin with - the dirt floor is elevated a few feet above the basement floor. Someone can move around on their hands and knees. The far end has little height as the ground rises more there, and the person doing the insulation says he can't insulate back there. I feel he is giving up and not researching how to get in there. Is there some kind of rigid tube that can reach back into there to spray in foam? If this is not better air-sealed, this remains as a significant source of cold air leakage into the house.

2. The opening to the drop down attic stairs was air sealed with a white "igloo" cover with a zipper. There was still a lot of air leakage and the person doing the insulation discovered that the rim around the opening had gaps open to under the attic floor, so he caulked around the rim. There is still air leakage that is pretty significant during the door blower test. Shouldn't this be more air tight?

Old 03-28-11, 06:39 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I probably would have told you the same thing about the crawl space.

Edit on crawlspace: Offer him an extra $100 cash to reach that spot. That will tell you if it's truly reachable or not.

It's hard to comment on the attic without seeing it. How much pressure is used on the blower test?

Last edited by Pulpo; 03-28-11 at 06:57 AM.
Old 03-28-11, 08:09 AM
N
Good idea on offering more money! It often gets to the truth.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: