R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Garage Attic Space

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

I own a townhouse, and the garage is separate from the house. It is a two-car garage, and is connected to four other garages on the street. In the attic space above the garage, I would like to lay down some boards to allow me to store holiday decorations up top. I have included photos of the attic space and the exterior of the garage. My questions are two.

1. The attic space has a 2x4 that is braced from the peak down to the base (shown in the photo). This brace is somewhat in the way (as it comes down right over top of the entry. Question is, was this just put up during initial construction? Would I be safe to remove it now that everything has been built?

2. Second question is that I have read a lot about not using attic spaces for storage, is it safe to use this space above the garage to store decorations? Wouldn't be that much weight. Would just get it out of the garage.

Old 04-10-11, 01:55 AM
E
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It is not possible to see you photos. In general there should be no issue in using that space and placing some 2'x4' OSB sheathing over the 2x4' bottoms of the trusses for light weight storage. These 2x4's are part of the roof structure and not designed to be used as floor joists. Without seeing the bracing I would consider rather than removing it, to reposition it away from the opening. You may need to buy some additional wood to restructure the brace. It was likely there for a reason especially around ensuring support for winter snow load and perhaps to reduce roof movement further. The only possible other issue in storing things in an unheated space exposed to various temperature changes is that of potential moisture damage at least is there are paper type products involved.

Old 04-10-11, 11:49 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Maybe this will help, here is the link of the pictures...

ImageShack Album - 7 images

Old 04-10-11, 12:47 PM
E
It looks like a necessary brace that ties into the top of the (first) front truss/wall to help ensure structural integrity. I would leave it alone and work around it, unless you can reposition it and still maintain a good angle for bracing.

Old 04-10-11, 12:56 PM
E
It looks like a necessary brace that ties into the top of the (first) front truss/wall to help ensure structural integrity. I would leave it alone and work around it, unless you can reposition it and still maintain a good angle for bracing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: