Steel Stud Noise

Old 04-22-11, 09:13 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Steel Stud Noise

Hi Folks,
We recently completed a bsmt reno using steel studs. Now we find that there are quite a few spots on the floors above that cause noise - groans and creaks that were never there before. It's worst in an area where there is a bulkhead around some ductwork. We can duplicate the noise when in the basement by reaching up and pushing on the bulkhead.

Any ideas on a solution for this? We didn't do this work ourselves, I used a guy (who I do know personally) who has used steel studs in this type of project for over 20 years.

The joists are engineered wooden joists, the studs used to frame the bulkhead are a mix of regular 2x4 and some smaller ones as well. Drywall is screwed directly to the framing on the bulkhead, and on the ceiling the drywall is screwed to strips of 3/4" plywood that were first screwed to the joists.

Is there any point, for example, in squirting low expansion foam insulation into the bulkhead? I can't do this all over the ceiling because there are halogen potlights that are not the "boxed" type.
Thanks for any suggestions!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-11, 02:15 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I don't think foam insulation will stop the noise. At best it will reduce it. Something is not tight. It could be the studs or the strips of plywood. If you have a framing nail gun, shoot some nails where the studs meet the joists. You can patch the drywall later.

Old 04-22-11, 09:41 PM
P
Originally Posted by Shporky View Post
Hi Folks,
We recently completed a bsmt reno using steel studs. Now we find that there are quite a few spots on the floors above that cause noise - groans and creaks that were never there before. It's worst in an area where there is a bulkhead around some ductwork. We can duplicate the noise when in the basement by reaching up and pushing on the bulkhead.

Any ideas on a solution for this? We didn't do this work ourselves, I used a guy (who I do know personally) who has used steel studs in this type of project for over 20 years.

The joists are engineered wooden joists, the studs used to frame the bulkhead are a mix of regular 2x4 and some smaller ones as well. Drywall is screwed directly to the framing on the bulkhead, and on the ceiling the drywall is screwed to strips of 3/4" plywood that were first screwed to the joists.

Is there any point, for example, in squirting low expansion foam insulation into the bulkhead? I can't do this all over the ceiling because there are halogen potlights that are not the "boxed" type.
Thanks for any suggestions!
(a bulkhead around some ductwork). Ducts should be hanging fee and not tight around any wood. Ducts move back and forth from heating and cooling. If the ducts are touching wood they can make a lot of noise. Hot water lines will do the same thing if they rub on wood. If you fasten ducts up tight to floor joist, they will make noise when you walk across the floor. Paul