Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Basement flood led to finding asbestos tiles - removed a few now worried

Old 05-04-11, 01:34 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

So last week we had a sewage backup and it flooded about half of our basement. We got everything cleaned up, tore out the carpet, etc. We were doing some of the final steps of removing baseboards, etc. Once we had all the carpet removed, we found the old vinyl tile floor underneath. A bunch of the tiles were missing, but most were in place. We could tell that around some of the tiles it was still wet so we started popping up those tiles. At this time our mindset was get out everything that was wet.

We maybe removed 20 tiles. Some came right off, some popped off when you pried with a screwdriver and some we had to chip at with a hammer and screwdriver. We found out a few days later the tiles are asbestos, and now we are freaked. We realize it was only 20 tiles or so....but you start thinking about where did you walk, what clothes were you wearing, what clothes did I wash with those clothes, I ran the vacuum to clean up everything.

Should we be concerned - or is this just a huge over reaction because we heard the word asbestos. I mean, it happened, we can't do anything to go back in time. I mean, I used to smoke cigarettes in high school and am not freaking about getting lung cancer when I am 60 - so is this the same thing? We are getting an air quality test to make sure its not still floating around the basement (cause we have been running fans for days to dry everything).

Would love some words of wisdom.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-11, 02:00 PM
How do you know they are asbestos tiles? Did you have them tested or find and old box that they were in?

Old 05-04-11, 02:11 PM
We had a buddy come by who is a home inspector to make sure the walls were drying out, no signs of mold, etc. And he told us about the tile. He said 99% of the time a 9x9 tile with the black adhesive contains asbestos.

Old 05-04-11, 02:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 95 Votes on 89 Posts
The biggest danger with asbestos is when it's in a dry airborne state. Removing the wet tiles probably introduced very little [if any] asbestos dust into the air. I'd be more concerned with how you disposed of it. If it's bagged up while wet it should be ok but if you need to move it after it's dried.......

Old 05-04-11, 04:55 PM
You should have it tested to find out for sure what it is. You can mail it to a lab and they will send back the results. I think it cost me $65 a couple years ago to have one sample tested. It's well worth the peace of mind.