Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Old, crumbling concrete basement floor - what to do

Old 05-14-11, 10:50 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

My mom's basement has a concrete floor that has been broken down over the years from use and from water.

I'd say roughly 50% of the floor in a 10x10 area looks intact, but the other 50% has lost the top layer of cement and has become uneven.

I'm hoping to fix it for her, and curious what the best way to do it would be.

I've read that priming the concrete and patching then leveling with standard concrete would suffice, but I've also heard that I could prime and pour some of the self leveling compound would work.

Any suggestions? Just want to even the floor out so we can get a decent layer of paint down.

Thanks.

Old 05-15-11, 03:01 AM
J
Received 107 Votes on 94 Posts
Floors moving and cracking and there's a moisture problum, and you want to paint it?
Not a very good plan. To fix it right the whole thing needs to be cut out, whole area leveled, compactable sand brought in and compacted, then a whole new 4" thick floor with fiberglass reinforsed concrete. If the floor is this bad then something was not done right before it was pored and no amount of patching is going to work, it will just crack again.
You also need to find out why the waters getting in. Unsealed foundation walls, no gutters or leaking, plugged up gutters, poor grade that runs toward the house, mulch pilled up again the house, flower boxes forming ponds againt the foundation.

Old 05-15-11, 07:52 AM
P
I'm not cutting out the floor and pouring a new one just because the top layer of concrete has worn down over 60 years. You're imagination ran away on you. I didn't say anything about cracking. There isn't a single crack.

I'll reiterate, and maybe clarify because apparently it is needed: the basement is used for nothing but laundry and storage. Doesn't need to look perfect. In ONE corner the cement has worn down and is uneven in spots. At most, the spots with the worn out cement are 1/4" deep.

As I said in my first post: Just want to even the floor out so we can get a decent layer of paint down.

Old 05-15-11, 08:18 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 426 Votes on 381 Posts
I don't know about the concrete patching but I'd suggest using a solid concrete stain instead of paint. Stain rarely peels although it will wear away faster than paint. The main thing is there is usually a LOT less prep needed when it's time to recoat

Old 05-16-11, 09:02 AM
E
If all you want to do is to dress the surface perhaps using a self levelling compound will give you the smooth and fresh/level finish you are looking for. You may need to prep with a sealer first and to rake out any loose material but this stuff goes down fast and dries quick also.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: