Fill in Basement Window and Well

Old 06-14-11, 09:32 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fill in Basement Window and Well

I have a home that was built in the 50s. We just started excavating behind the house to do a paver patio. We were also planning to remove the rotting wood step behind the house and replace them with a retaining block/paver setp. I tore out the step and discovered it was covering an old window and well that had been boarded over and partially filled with dirt. It's not big enough for egress, it's in a horrible spot, and is panelled over in the basement already as well. So we're in a below grade window situation with a small concrete well. Can I just remove the window, brick/mortar it in, fill with gravel, and do retaining blocks and pavers over it as a single step? Or do I need to tear out the window well, excavate further, and do concrete/waterproofing?

-talk about unexpected.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-11, 03:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums! If properly constructed, the window well should have a drain system integrated into it. In addition to bricking/blocking in the window, don't forget to do waterproofing in the area to prevent infiltration into the inside of the basement. This waterproofing will take you into the well area, so be prepared to remove down further in order to get to a previously waterproofed area.