Basement floor epoxy question

Old 06-15-11, 09:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement floor epoxy question

I am posting here because there is nothing about epoxys under flooring.
I was wondering what could be put on top of the epoxy once it dries to make it last longer and/or seal it. A friend of mine put epoxy in his basement a year ago and its peeling up. I realize he may not have prepped the surface correctly. Can i use regular polyurethane on top of the epoxy? Is there something else that is better?
Also, the area is large. Can I do one part, let it dry and then do the 2nd half? Will there be a noticable seam?
thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-11, 09:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 158 Votes on 140 Posts
The epoxy is as tough or tougher than any coating you might apply over it. You can probably get by painting 1 room at a time but it's highly doubtful you can stop in the middle of a room and not have it show.

Your friend's paint job failed either from improper prep or from moisture coming up thru the slab causing the paint to lift.

Old 06-20-11, 01:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
epoxies are not difficult to use however be forewarned they are NOT a 1man application process due to their high exothermic rates,,, we would usually pick aliphatic urethane to protect epoxy flooring - industrial, commercial, institutional, OR residential.

the other guy probably picked up his stuff at the apron/vest store - hardly decent mtl & its also wtr-based,,, ixnay on the polyurethane - pick urethane !

for best results, you do the whole floor at once - there is a way to bond today's work to yesterday's but that's another topic.