Prep basement for epoxy with no drain nearby

Old 06-16-11, 07:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Prep basement for epoxy with no drain nearby

I need to clean my concrete in order to prep it for floor epoxy. I have no drain near by. I was wondering if I can use a concrete cleaner, pour it on the floor, scrub it with a push broom, and then mop up whats left. I didnt know if there was an acid in the cleaner that would eat a broom or mop. How bad are the fumes? I have block windows that do not open. Is there an acid free concrete cleaner?
thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-11, 09:13 AM
You will need to clean and to etch the concrete as part of your preparation. Cleaning is about washing away debris, and removing grease etc. There are specialized products for that but sometimes TSP will also work. Etching is about roughing up the surface to provide a solid profile to help with the paint adhesion. Often a 10 - 15% muriatic acid/water solution is used but it does require excellent ventilation as well as a complete wash down to remove it prior to painting. There are safer products on the market that maybe used without the same level ventilation required, and some can be neutralized with ammonia for instance and then ensuring that this solution is vaccumed. Other ways to roughen up concrete as part of preparation would require professional equipment such as shot blasting.

Old 06-16-11, 09:46 AM
The epoxy kit came with the etching stuff. I will check the store for a safe concrete cleaner. I will also go to the local rental place and see if they have a piece of equipment that will help. I know as soon as I see your response I am going to say "duh" but what is TSP?

Old 06-16-11, 10:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
TSP = tri sodium phosphate

If your concrete has a slick finish - it needs to be etched, if the top of the concrete is somewhat rough or porous - it doesn't need to be etched.

Do you know for a fact that the concrete will stay dry? Many concrete coating failures are from moisture migrating up thru the concrete.

Old 06-16-11, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Trisodium phosphate...(I think..lol)...basically a very strong detergent. Available at any paint store and most homecenters. They also make a tsp substitute...but I've never used it.

Old 06-20-11, 01:48 PM
tsp OR tsp substitute - water - walk-behind lo-speed buffer & brush,,, scrub the floor (1 handful tsp into 5gal warm wtr ),,, wet/dry vac up the residue - rinse - wet/dri vac - rinse 2nd time - wet/dri vac,,, let dry COMPLETELY till tape stickks to floor,,, there are moisture tolerant epoxies on the market but, unless you know where to find them, they are NOT avail at any apron/vest store - all you'll find there is wtr-based epoxy - clearly inadequate for this project.