Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

how long do concrete footings need to set before the foundation walls are poured

how long do concrete footings need to set before the foundation walls are poured

Old 07-01-11, 05:13 AM

I'm currently building a new home and the footings were poured early teusday morning. The foundation molds where set up late in the same day. The foundation was poured late afternoon the following day. Is that enough time for them to set properly? Will they be strong enough to hold the weight of the walls as they continue to cure? Also how long should the foundation set for before framing? Temp has been mid 80's during the day and low 70's at night. Your input is greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-11, 03:45 PM
My basement footing were poured one morning and the wall forms set the next day. Then the walls were poured the following morning.
That said I see no problem with what was done at your home.
I see no reason they cannot start on framing now. As long as they are not going to be dragging something very heavy across the new concrete I can not see how they can hurt it.

Last edited by badeyeben; 07-01-11 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Added last paragraph.
Old 07-01-11, 03:56 PM
No problem ay all. the concrete cures almost to quickly and there will not be appreciable loads on any walls for a long time. The only problem might be when they backfill, which increases the lateral load to close to the required. As far as the the vertical and framing, the vertical load is not a question because the walls are designed for lateral loads and the footings are excessivelt wide because of convenience and really probive a level work surface for forming or block laying.

Dick

Old 07-02-11, 04:45 AM
as posted, no problems yet however be extremely vigilant the foundation walls & footer are properly waterproofed including a filtered toe drain,,, this is the ONLY chance you have for proper foundation waterproofing as the building code ONLY calls for dampproofing.

it would be unlikely the backfilling will be done in compacted 'lifts' therefore the soil will be extremely porous & allow water to penetrate it easily running down to the compacted base.