Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

How long does a new foundation need to cure for before it can be waterproofed?

Old 07-04-11, 10:47 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

My foundation was waterproofed 3 or 4 days after it was poured. Is this enough time? Also how long does it take for that waterproofing to dry and be backfilled? thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-11, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
The concrete will cure no problem...the other side is exposed...not that it really matters..since concrete doesn't "air dry"...it cures.

The best waterproofing/drainage has a coating applied, then a dimpled plastic is attached and a drainage system installed. Of course that's only if its really needed in your area...

You'll really help yourself if you ensure grading is done correctly and that downspouts are either routed well away from the foundation or directed into a proper piped drainage system.

I have to ask...is all this work being done by a licensed, insured, referenced contractor? Or just someone that said "Sure I can build your house"?

Old 07-04-11, 03:32 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
I would add that it's best to back fill in stages. 1st install your drain tile and gravel, then back fill the rest partly - you want to avoid undue pressure against the wall. I'd wait for the framing to be done before I started backfilling.

Old 07-05-11, 10:25 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gun guy,

Thanks for the response. Yes they are a pretty well known builder where I live and they have a good reputation. However I'm just doing my due diligence as I'm the only one who truly cares if my house is built properly. thanks again.