Crawlspace Vents --Conflicting information

Old 08-26-11, 09:05 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Crawlspace Vents --Conflicting information

I live in NW Alabama and, as expected, have a humidity problem. I have a 1/2 Basement under my home and the crawlspace is app. 5' high at the lowest point. There is app. 1300 sq. ft. of crawlspace.
I use the crawlspace for storage because there is a walkin door and plenty of headroom in about 1/3.
Most of the wooden shelving and a lot of rubber and plastic items have a light coating of white to light green mold.
The crawlspace is vented with foundation vents and there is a vapor barrier that is poorly installed. I have thoroughly inspected the dirt, after a heavy rain, and I see no water accumilation or apparent dampness.
Now for the Confliction Information---
I have done extensive reaserch and find that some recommend foundation vents and others back them up by recommending power ventilation.
Of course, these recommendations come from companies with items for sale.
On the other hand, some recommend closing off or covering the vents to disallow moisture from entering. And, of course, they sell these covers.
Where can I get an unbiased opinion??

Old 08-26-11, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Hi,

Close them up.

I also did extensive research.

You must put down the proper vapor barrier and then insulate the walls.

I removed my floor joist insulation, and only insulated the sill plates. And like I said I insulated the cinderblock with foam board. Also ran the vapor barrier up the wall some.

In addition I added heat to my crawl. Just a 8 ft section of basebord. Does wonders.

This site may help.

This is the one that sold be. They are not selling anything. Read all the reports, and watch all the vids.

Do fall for anyone elses hype.

Advanced Energy

Mike NJ

Old 08-31-11, 06:02 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I also have read through the Advanced Energy site and they convinced me as well. I would close them up as well.

Mike, out of curiosity did you have to add a dehumidifier? I closed it all up, vapor barrier on the floor, up the walls, and I still have humidity that's too high. I'm going to try the dehumidifier next.

Old 08-31-11, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
No. I did not have to add anything

Im dry.

Do you have any drainage issues? A always wet crawl because of water table?

Some crawls just cant be helped I think.

I will have to brush through the link again. But there are many sub links in there with good info. Videos, pics, etc....

Keep reading.....

Mike NJ

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: