hot basement

Old 08-30-11, 12:14 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
hot basement

Hello,
I finished my basement a few years ago and now it it too hot to enjoy in the summer.
I had the walls framed with 2x4 and installed R-19 and drywall.
The basement was always cooler than the reast of the house. Since the remodel it has been very warm, 75 or more degrees consistently. I am running a dehumidifier around 55% and it seems to be adding heat, its exhaust is around 90 degrees. I am going to try to use the timer on the dehumidifier to limit how much it runs in the hope that I will not be adding to the heat, but I want to keep the humidity around 55%.
Could I somehow vent the dehumidifier exhaust outside or will that defeat the purpose?

Any ideas or suggestions as to any other fixes I can try?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-11, 12:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 41 Posts
The exhaust is warm but it contains the dry air you seek from the unit, so venting it outside would be pointless.

You may have over-insulated your basement.

I would suggest increasing the airflow between the floors of your house to circulate that dried air and the heat accompanying it - I had to open an additional vent in my basement when I upgraded the dehumidifier a few years ago to divert the heat it created.

Old 08-30-11, 12:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks.
I have three small vents in the glass block windows. I guess I need to keep them open to try to get the heat out. But that lets the humid air right back in!!!

Old 08-30-11, 12:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 41 Posts
Don't open a vent to the outside, I meant I opened up another vent on the HVAC system

Old 08-30-11, 03:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Mitch is correct. You CAN overinsulate a basement. Generally basement walls underground are geothermally correct, in that the temperature will remain the same year 'round, hovering around the 73 degree mark for a normally excavated basement, making insulation redundant. Temperatures drop to the 50's the deeper you get. By insulating it, you are keeping the moderate tempered air from being of much use. About the only way you will receive equilibrium is to vent other areas of your HVAC system as well as a return into the basement area.