Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Thinnest possible ceiling panel for very low basement ceiling

Old 09-16-11, 10:24 AM
J
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post

Most would say just paint the ceiling and joists, but what about when I decide to add insulation and it falls all over the floor and generally looks like crap. I don't want that stuff brushing my head either. At 5'9 with a 6 foot basement my head is almost touching the joists. What paneling is thin, easy to work with, and won't break if I have to pull it down to fix a pipe. Drywall would be far too thick in this case.

Thanks

Old 09-16-11, 10:33 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
With 16" on center joists, 1/2" drywall would be sufficient. If that's 'far too thick' I don't see any options for you.

Insulation between a conditioned basement and floor above is not generally needed.

Old 09-16-11, 10:37 AM
J
Originally Posted by mitch17 View Post
With 16" on center joists, 1/2" drywall would be sufficient. If that's 'far too thick' I don't see any options for you.

Insulation between a conditioned basement and floor above is not generally needed.
Could you quantify 16" on center joists please? The basement is not conditioned.

Thanks

Old 09-16-11, 10:40 AM
J
Nevermind on quantifying the joists part....but what does the distance between the joists have to do with the height from the floor to the ceiling (which is only 6 feet)?

Thanks

Old 09-16-11, 10:58 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
The distance between the joists affects the thickness of the material you attach to it, has nothing to do with the height of the room.

If the basement is not heated and cooled, you would want insulation and a vapor barrier. Closed cell foam would accomplish both without needing support from underneath but it's not cheap.

Old 09-16-11, 11:13 AM
J
Thanks for taking the time to explain this to me.

Originally Posted by mitch17 View Post
The distance between the joists affects the thickness of the material you attach to it, has nothing to do with the height of the room.

If the basement is not heated and cooled, you would want insulation and a vapor barrier. Closed cell foam would accomplish both without needing support from underneath but it's not cheap.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: