Humid Unfinished Basement

Old 10-14-11, 07:38 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Humid Unfinished Basement

I am looking for advice on how I can reduce the humidity in my basement. It is unfinished with cinderblock walls and a french drain that runs the perimiter. The sump pump typically has some water in it.

At one time the floor was painted, but little paint remains now. It has a chalky surface that can never seem to be cleaned. I would like to paint it and make it look better while possibly reducing humidity from the floating slab, but I am not sure how to prep that dusty concrete floor.

The walls were painted ( possibly drylock ) but in many places this paint has flaked off. There are no leaks through the walls but the basement is wet and the sump is busy during the typical rainy seasons. I would also like to paint the walls, but I worry that the paint won't stick, like the previous paint coat. any suggestions?

Finally, the french drain and sump are both open. I was wondering if putting some sort of foam pipe in the french drain and covering the sump might help.

i currently have a dehumidifier that runs a lot and keeps the place reasonable, but I wonder if I could help the situation. Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Old 10-15-11, 07:56 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Moisture will not be stopped by paint. Yes I'd cover the sump! If your in a green grass state then a dehumidifier is a very good idea. If your unit is running a lot it is likely to be under sized.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: