Cleaning out an old basement

Old 10-23-11, 11:06 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cleaning out an old basement

I'm looking for some advice for how to best make an old basement good enough to use. Currently the washer and dryer are down there and I'd like to be able to walk down without feeling like I need a shower.

I live in a rented house. The basement is very old (originally a dirt floor philly basement). One side was cemented and when we moved in the landlord had the other side cemented. However, over the years its accumulated dust and dirt EVERYWHERE.

I spent some time clearing out all the random junk and getting all the cobwebs and things off the ceiling and walls, but the floor is still covered in a layer of dirt that never seems to go away. I have a shop vac that just spreads it around so I can't spend too much time doing it. I'm thinking of shoveling the majority of the dirt into bags, but how to get rid of the rest?

There's a bunch of paint (several 5 gallon buckets) down there. It's interior paint, but I don't need it and was wondering if I could just throw it down on the floor to trap all the leftover dirt and then put some carpets down over top of it? The room is pretty dry and doesn't flood, but I could still add a dehumidifier.

Or any other ideas?

Old 10-23-11, 03:07 PM
J
Don't dump the paint, there is most likely a floor drain which goes to the city line, not good.

Since you are a renter, there is not much you can do without approval, and usually those old basement ceilings are so low that nothing would meet code, anyhow. Use it for a lundry room and be satisfied, I guess.

Old 10-23-11, 04:10 PM
T
There's no floor drain so it won't go anywhere or do anything other than make a mess. I'm also allowed to paint, but you're right in that I can't do anything that requires actual construction.

I'm not going for an extra living room or anything. I just want to get it to the point where I can store things down there without everything getting covered in a layer of kicked up dirt.

Also, I don't mean that I want to litereally dump the paint (it did cross my mind though). I'd just slop it on really thick with a roller in the hopes that it will keep the dirt out of the air.

Old 10-23-11, 07:21 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If you do with the paint what you just said, plan on lots of dried paint being kicked up every ltime you walk across the floor--paint doesn't like to stick to dirt-covered anythings. If I were in your shoes, I'd ask the landlord to go "halfers" on hiring an industrial cleaning outfit to give the place a good once-over. Followed by you applying some paint that's made for concrete surfaces (I don't think standard latex will stick very well).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: